Cars: A Tale of Misuse

Monday, May 21, 2012


Dress: Target...Blazer: Banana Republic, thrifted...Belt & Necklace: Target...Shoes: Nine West




I've decided that this week will be all about story-telling from my childhood. And here's why.

Amazing images from Shybiker's day at the racetrack made my mind wander back to kid-dom and the time COSI had a Speed Racers' exhibit about the physics of racing. The theme song got totally stuck in your head and over and over again the narration would remind you to "tuuuuurn toward the apex and accellerate out of the turn." Fine advice for a 10 year old. Many golf carts after that time were tested at full speed. And, no, we did not flip any.

This also led to the thrill of what I can only describe as the strangest afternoon of fun times with my dad and sister. My first car (when I finally started driving at 17) was a '91 Honda Civic with no upgrades at all. Manual, no power locks or power steering, no clock, no cupholders, we didn't spring for the passenger side mirror. But that car was magical. And one afternoon on the ride home from the grocery store that was barely 1/2 mile away, I discovered that if you scoot the passenger seat up and then hold the lever while dad accellerated, you rocket back like you're on a roller coaster. I made him stop the car and my sister and I piled onto the front seat and rode the roller coaster together over and over again in 20 foor increments of pavement. It was the best 1/2 mile car ride of my life.

And one of the strangest stories I've ever divulged to the internets. You're welcome.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...