Pride

Friday, June 22, 2012

Jeans: UO...Blouse: Target...Cardigan: Gap...Shoes: J Jill via Buffalo Exchange



Tomorrow is Houston's Pride Parade. I thought I'd get an early start and dress in a rainbow of colors.

I've kind of weighed whether or not to write about the Pride events... Many of the bloggers I've gotten to know and appreciate happen to be religious and are awesome people. I didn't want to rock the boat, push anyone away, whatever... Here's my story: I, very thankfully, grew up in a warm Christian household, my parents are inclusive and loving people. My church was an awesome community for me as a shy, introverted kid who liked to learn and analyze and assess new ideas. When my Guy and I got serious in high school and I found out his sister was gay, my whole view of religion kind of shifted. I noticed that people I had looked up to as a kid had mean-spirited condemning views of the gay community. Their religion was used as a bludgeon for denying rights to the LGBT community. And I was absolutely repulsed. When I left home for college, I didn't seek out a church to attend. I couldn't maintain a relationship with a broad organization that told me one of the most loving people in my life was "not okay." And I kind of adore that my loving, Christian, faithful homelife formed me into the accepting, inclusive person I'm proud I've become. But most of my experience with the rest of the religious community didn't have the same values as me... Anyway, I'm not a heathen, I'm not religious, I'm not irreverant, I'm just doing my best to be loving.

And I love me the gays. Many of my dearest friends in adulthood identify with the LGBT community in one way or another. And I'm not going to apologize for forming strong, supportive friendships with loving people and I'll happily state that someone's gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, skin color, hair color, or food allergies has nothing to do with how I choose the people important to me. As long as you're willing to show a little humility and humanity, we'll get along just fine!

Happy Pride!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...